Linda Adams Gold Coast Psychologist
“You are an individual, and as an individual you deserve to be valued and supported in your own unique change process. My approach to psychology is person-centred, this means that I am most interested in helping you to achieve the results that YOU want.
I have worked in mental health since 1994. Since that time, following a long and often trying journey, particularly given that I had not completed secondary school, I have achieved a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology, a Diploma of Counselling, a Graduate Diploma of Adult Education, and a Post Graduate Diploma of Psychology.
Over the past 20 years I have been privileged to work as a psychologist AND a counsellor with people who have often said in our first meeting that they felt as though things were not quite right, that maybe they were 'crazy', and that they were not sure how to change. During our work together, most of these individuals have been able to gain an understanding of the following:
- how the brain functions, especially unhelpful 'default mechanisms' that can hold you back
- how the mind functions and often drives powerful, distressing emotions and behaviors
- what emotions are, where they come from and how to manage them differently
- how situations in the past have conditioned certain habitual patterns of reacting today
- steps to take to change the brain, master their mind, and create new healthy patterns of responding, enabling them to achieve the kind of life that deep down they valued.
I value openness, authenticity, and acceptance in my work as a psychologist. I am a big believer in the power of the mind and I recognise that in many instances it is the activity within our minds that contributes to our psychological distress. To me the brain is an amazing organ, I am passionate about understanding how the brain functions and what each of us can do to maximise it's potential.
My promise to you is that I will do my best to work alongside you and to tailor a therapeutic approach to meet your specific individual and lifestyle needs. After all, you are the expert in your own life!"
"When we are no longer able to change a situation we are challenged to change ourselves" ~ Viktor E. Frankl
Below is a list of some of the complimentary therapy models that Linda has studied and uses in her practice as a psychologist:
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
- Narrative Therapy
- Solution Oriented Brief Therapy
- Motivational Interviewing
- Relational Therapy
- Dynamic Therapy
- Gottman Method Therapy
- Attachment Theory
- Bowen Theory